3 April 2025
Reservists from 12th/40th Battalion, the Royal Tasmania Regiment (12/40RTR), have helped reinter the remains of three World War 1 soldiers.
The soldiers’ remains were rediscovered just over a year ago when the Hutchins School in Hobart began constructing a new building.
The school knew its land was the site of the former Queenborough Cemetery, but it was thought all remains had been moved.
Eventually, the remains of almost 2000 people were discovered. Archaeologists were called in to identify them and the Office of Australian War Graves was notified.
Director of War Graves Brigadier (retd) Tim Bayliss praised Hutchins School.
“I think they’ve done an amazing job in dealing with all the sensitivities,” he said.
“The school has gone through all the records and history to identify the three soldiers and that allowed me to do my job to honour our fallen.”
'I think they’ve done an amazing job in dealing with all the sensitivities.'
The three soldiers were Private Hans John Louis Anderson (service number 4311), who died on March 1, 1920; Private Edward Charles Ruffels (2896), who died on January 1, 1920; and Private Henry John Way (3599), who died on December 20, 1920.
The soldiers were reinterred in two separate ceremonies at Hobart War Cemetery and Cornelian Bay Cemetery.
Private Shakira Baumback, of 12/40RTR, said everybody felt a profound responsibility to properly honour the veterans.
“Being part of the reinterment services is a deep honour and gives me a great sense of pride,” Private Baumback said.
“I was not only able to pay tribute to their service but be part of their legacy.”
Private Henry Stevens concurred.
“I feel incredibly proud to have been a part of the service and a part of re-establishing the ongoing connection and respect to those who served before us,” Private Stevens said.