Defence Honours & Awards is part of the Defence People Group.
The Naval General Service Medal 1915-62 was instituted in 1915 for service in minor Naval war-like operations. The medal is always issued with a clasp denoting the area of operations. Subsequent service is recognised by the award of further clasps to be worn on the original medal.
The medal is cupro-nickel with the obverse having the effigy of the reigning sovereign at time of issue.
The reverse bears an image of ‘Britannia' in a chariot pulled by two sea-horses.
The ribbon has a wide white central stripe, flanked by two red pin-stripes, further flanked by two white stripes, which in turn are flanked by two red outer stripes.
The following clasps have been issued for the medal:
Members mentioned in despatches for operations recognised by the Naval General Service Medal 1915-62 after 11 August 1920 were approved to wear a bronze oak leaf on the medal ribbon.