Highlights of the USFPI
“Defence will continue to strengthen its engagement with Australia’s international partners in support of shared regional security interests and will continue to deepen Australia’s alliance with the United States.”
2020 Defence Strategic Update, p.7
A key component of the Australia-US Alliance is the United States Force Posture Initiatives (the Initiatives), comprising the Marine Rotational Force – Darwin and the Enhanced Air Cooperation (EAC). The Initiatives provide a tangible demonstration of the strength of the Australia-US Alliance and Australia’s deep engagement with the Indo-Pacific region.
They provide security, economic and community benefits for Australia and the US by:
- deepening interoperability and enhancing capabilities through increased combined training and exercises,
- increasing our engagement with regional partners in the Indo Pacific,
- better positioning both nations to respond to crises in the region, including Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief,
- generating economic, industry and community benefits for Northern Australia through infrastructure investment and the provision of support services, and
- building a strong community presence through an array of activities including volunteering, community and school visits.