Defence is conducting detailed environmental investigations at the following sites:
The investigations are undertaken by experienced environmental services providers and are undertaken in accordance with the National Environment Protection (Assessment of Site Contamination) Measure (NEPM).
Detailed environmental investigations include:
- sampling soil, surface water and groundwater on and off the base to identify the potential for exposure to PFOS/PFOA in the vicinity
- reviewing the historical use, storage and management of aqueous film-forming foam (AFFF) to identify sources
- identifying pathways and receptors for the potential migration of PFOS/PFOA
- community and stakeholder engagement, including a water-use survey
- a Human Health and Ecological Risk Assessment, which will evaluate risks to the population and ecology, and inform future action to mitigate risks
Environmental testing takes time and it is important that we work with communities while we investigate the possible extent of PFOS and PFOA.
As well as detailed environmental site investigations, Defence has commenced a preliminary sampling program at the following sites:
- RAAF Base Townsville
- RAAF Base Richmond
- RAAF Base Amberley
- RAAF Base Wagga
- RAAF Base Tindal
- RAAF Base Darwin
- HMAS Creswell/Jervis Bay Range Facility
- Holsworthy Barracks
- Robertson Barracks
- Bandiana Military Area
- HMAS Cerberus
- Garden Island HMAS Stirling
Please refer to the PFOS and PFOA Preliminary Sampling Program June 2016 Fact sheet for more information.
For further information or enquiries please refer to the contacts page.