skip to navigation skip to content skip to footer

Defence Community Organisation

For ADF members and their families

1800 624 608

Transition Checklist

The ADF Transition Checklist lists the tasks that need to be completed before you leave the military. Information on completing each step is in the ADF Member and Family Transition Guide – A Practical Manual to Transitioning. Your ADF Transition Officer can help you meet your administrative requirements.

Transitioning from the ADF

  • Consider whether transitioning from the ADF is right for you.
  • Discuss transitioning from the ADF with your family.
  • Discuss transitioning from the ADF with your Unit.
  • Engage ADF Transition Support Services (ADFTSS).
  • Read the ADF Member and Family Transition Guide.
  • Attend an ADF Transition Seminar.
  • Submit your ADF Transition Clearance Form and other applications.

Medical and dental

  • Engage a civilian general practitioner, dentist, and specialist (if required).
  • Complete Separation Health Examination.
  • Complete Separation Dental Examination.
  • Complete Post Operational Psychological Screening (if required).
  • Submit Commonwealth Superannuation Corporation Invalidity Retirements forms (if required).
  • Lodge any compensation claims with the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA).
  • Request Health Records.
  • Consider private health insurance and request a Health Insurance Letter.

Future employment Support

  • Start your transition coaching sessions with your ADF Transition Officer.
  • Apply for Career Transition Assistance Scheme.
  • Visit the jobactive website.

Defence Housing and Relocation

  • Inform Defence Housing Australia of your intent to transition from the ADF.
  • Submit request for accommodation extension (if required).
  • Seek approval to live on base after your transition date (if required).
  • Contact Toll Transitions to determine your removal entitlement.
  • Enquire about the Defence Home Ownership Assistance Scheme (DHOAS) and get a DHOAS Subsidy Certificate.

Defence leave matters

  • Submit all leave requests.
  • Apply to transfer leave entitlements if you’re moving to a government job.

Defence finance matters

  • Ensure your post transition address is up-to-date.
  • Advise your Salary Packaging Administrator of your transition date (if required).
  • Consult your financial adviser if you’re receiving a termination payment.
  • Contact your superannuation fund or your financial adviser to receive tailored advice on entitlements.

Other transition requirements

  • Surrender your ID card in line with the Defence Security Manual.
  • Return your official passport to your sponsoring authority.
  • Process outstanding transactions for your Defence Travel Card.
  • Return your Defence Purchasing Card.
  • Transfer your Defence driver’s licence to a State or Territory civilian licence.
  • Collect your ADF Will (if applicable).
  • Claim your full medal entitlement.

Department of Veteran Affairs

  • Talk to ADFTSS about accessing DVA services.
  • Lodge a claim for acceptance of liability with DVA if you have sustained an injury or contracted a disease related to your service.

Department of Human Services

  • Update your circumstances for Centrelink, Medicare, and Child Support.
  • Request an Employment Separation Certificate.